Thursday, August 26, 2010

Inbox: Patrick from Asheville, NC wants to know...


Patrick Spence, a man among men in the mountains of North Carolina has taken time out of his ridiculously busy schedule as a minor league baseball Box Office Manager to check in and push some great "thinking" issues to the forefront of our agenda.  He was especially busy this past weekend partying in Bristol, TN for the NASCAR race...'J' to the 'Ealous.'  Wish I would have been there.

My favorite question from Spence was, "Why don't they turn right instead of left in NASCAR?  It's counter-clockwise.  Wouldn't it make better sense to go the other way?" 

In short, yes.  Absolutely. In long--Think about it.  We're a right hand-dominate country, people.  You lefties out there are put here to make us laugh.  Like when one of you is sitting there at dinner using your fork with your left hand!  OMG!  Classic!  That's the wrong hand, you morons!  J/K!  Of course.  Or am I?  LOL! BTW, computer talk is more addictive than crack.  I've never done crack, but I bet it wouldn't be as hard to pass up for me as saying "BRB" when I leave a room to get a drink of water.  I will never pass that up.  

Anyway, left is second best and right is...right.  Next, I think it's pretty daggum ironic and hilarious that they turn left when the political atmosphere in the garage and in the stands is far right. 

Also, as Patrick pointed out, wouldn't it be more kosher if they went clockwise?  So that got me thinking about why they go counter clockwise, and I think I figured out.  In fact, I'm sure I figured it out:  As some of you inbred, one-toothed, hicks out there (AKA my best of friends) would know, the idea of NASCAR was thought of by bootleggers and moonshiners.  They had to out-run the revenewers and cops, so they got the fastest, most souped up hot rods around.  Next thing you know, one dude says, "hey ya'll let's race each other and get people to pay to watch."  Bingo.  NASCAR.  Well, I'm certain that same dude was drunk, and he had to go pee.  When he flushed the toilet (or emptied the outhouse) he noticed that the water was spinning counter-clockwise as it sped off into oblivion.  So, he said "I think the cars should go that way too."  Boom.  Cars turning left.  Science.  Northern Hemisphere Science. 

Lastly, spanks a million to Audrey and Patrick for the suggestions recently.  If there's something you can't stop thinking about, holler at me. 

2 comments:

ems said...

while i cannot without doubt refute your suppositions of the origins of the left-hand turn, might i posit my own, slightly more calculated (if i do say so myself), assumption for the repetitive counterclockwise redundancy that is NASCAR racing (save, of course, Infineon and Watkins Glen)?

tell you what son, i b'lieve they went to turnin' on the left hand cause the driver be a-sittin' on that side. that way he can lean down into the curves at a high rate-o-speed. you ever been over a curve that has a bad bankin' on it? tell you what, that sombitch dont feel right. so they went with the turn on the left hand...

The Muffin said...

You lost me at "calculated"