Friday, July 23, 2010

Today I thought about "Pawpaw"

I think about my grandfather who has passed on, quite a bit.  Today I thought about him a couple of times, and he just kept coming up.  We called him "Papaw," and I wish I had another picture of him, but this is the only one I have access to right now.  This is a picture from when he was only around 18, and he changed alot, but you get the idea.  He is the one I've circled.  What are they doing there?  Well it seems pretty obvious that their band was about to play a tune and then rob a bank or shoot up a liquor store.  Duh.
 I thought about him first when I was running early this morning.  There must be a pond or some marshy area off of Campus Drive where I run, and i smelled that fresh water smell.  It smelled just like it did behind Papaw's house where there is still a small pond at the bottom of a hill. 

I thought of him again today because it's so hot. I remember whenever it was really hot, Papaw would sit down and put both hands behind his head in a reclined position.  He would then quickly shake his head once to the right and say, "Boy!"  That was it.  That's how you knew it was hot.  He would also have the exact same reaction after a big meal. 

Whenever I think of him, I think of what an incredible person he was.  I never once heard him say anything bad about anyone...Not once...Not even in a joking way.  And the only time I ever heard him say a bad word was when I played the card game, Rummy with him and my grandmother.  Once or twice after one of my Mamaw's plays, he muttered, "well shit, Lessie Ray."  Lessie Ray is my grandmother's name.  Anyway, I told my dad one time how I never heard Papaw say anything bad about anyone, and he thought about for a brief second, and said he never had either.  Incredible. 

No comments: